(July 12, 2004) - Celebrating its 40th Anniversary, Sierra Designs, a
leading manufacturer of high-performance products, including tents,
sleeping bags and technical and lifestyle outdoor clothing, today
announced that it will unveil its new product innovations and styles
for spring 2005 at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market in Salt Lake
City, Utah on August 12-15, 2004.
"We're a company that was founded 40 years ago with the primary
focus of creating innovative outdoor equipment for outdoor enthusiasts
and that mission continues today," said Mark J. Herbert, President of
Sierra Designs and Ultimate Direction. "For 2005, we have new energy
with a strong team and 40 years of experience to showcase our latest
creations and technologies in tents, sleeping bags and clothing."
TOP 2005 EQUIPMENT INNOVATIONS
The 40th Anniversary spring 2005 equipment line is packed with
features and innovations. With 11 new tents and the revolutionary
Reverse Combi leading the way, Sierra Designs takes the industry by
storm. The return of the Sol Air Ceiling and two new incredibly strong
single wall tent designs, illustrates the company's commitment to
innovation. The sleeping bag category has been restyled and re-colored
and now offers a complete one-stop shop presentation: an ample
selection in Ultralight, down, kids and accessories.
New Innovations for 2005
- Reverse Combi: New and exclusive for 2005, the Sierra Designs
Reverse Combi utilizes an innovative variable pole diameter system with
pre-bent pole sections allowing the x-tents internal volume to increase
by 50 percent. Weighing, 5 pounds, 5 ounces and totaling 32 square
feet, this new technology will revolutionize the future of tent design.
- Air Flow Vent System: This vent system allows air to
circulate through the four-season, single wall design. The angled
pattern with mesh backing is secure enough so rain or snow will not get
in. Available on the Solomente and Hercules Assault.
- DriZone Laminated Fabric: An exceptional
waterproof/breathable fabric at a great value. Already an award-winning
fabric on the DriZone sleeping bag series, this material is available
on the 4-season, single wall Solomente and Hercules Assault.
- Mach 1:This new lightweight 3-pole designed shelter is truly
like no other in providing openness and ample floor space. Large side
door and spacious double track vestibule allow for easy storage and
access to gear.
- Hyperlight 3 AST: Due to the success of the Hyperlight
AST, Sierra Designs introduced the three-person version that utilizes
all the same innovations. Split between three people, this 5 pounds 11
ounce tent divides up easily.
- Reverse Combi: Sierra Designs exclusive tent technology that
utilizes a new variable pole diameter system with pre bent pole
- Observatory: Bringing back the exclusive and patented Sol Air Ceiling that offers an unobstructed view of the stars.
- Firestorm: Offers two large vestibules, the SuperSeal Floor and a spacious interior.
- Electron: This roomy 2-person tent boasts tons of bells
and whistles such as an included footprint, gear attic and coffee
sling. All for $179.95
These tents allow the adventurer to leave weight behind and go from
3-season to 4-season in the blink of an eye. Perfect for the person who
wants only one tent for the whole year.
- Omega Light: This ultralight convertible tent is ideal for 3 or
4 season conditions. With lighter poles and removable sections, a
silicone rain fly, a removable stash door and panels that zip open to
expose the mesh ceiling, this new tent is a very light 3-season and
very strong 4-season tent.
Base Camp Tents
- Solomente AST: A strong 1-person, 4-season, single wall tent
with a high ceiling and steep wall construction for ample living space
and room to sit up and stretch out. Utilizes the award winning DriZone
waterproof/breathable fabric and the patented Jake's Corner technology
for strength and a single wall construction to keep weight down. The
new Air Flow Vent System keeps the moisture out to avoid condensation.
- Hercules Assault AST: The Holy Grail of tents just got
lighter and faster. All the great technology and superior strength of
our high altitude tested Hercules AST, but with a lightweight
single-wall construction. Includes a large vestibule made from our
lightweight fly material and the new Air Flow Vent System prevents
- Hercules Light AST: A lighter and slightly smaller version
of our incredibly strong Hercules. Incorporates a lighter pole
structure and hubs in Jake's Corner. Extremely tough for 4-season
excursions and weighs in at 6 pounds, 5 ounces – 2 pounds lighter than
the current Hercules AST.
Loaded with new features including a room divider, larger
vestibules, better zipper orientation and cup holders, these tents are
perfect for big summer adventures.
- Bedouin 8: Same great features as the other Bedouin tents in
the series, but this one's got room for eight! This large shelter was
even designed with a room divider for additional privacy and large
vestibule area. Great for a family outing, a large group, or a guided
3-season base camp tour.
- Bedouin 4 and 8 and Nomad 4.2, 5.1 and 6.1 : Updated for
2005 with new features and innovations including: Optic White Canopy,
Cup Holder, Clothesline and SuperSeal Floor.
- Night Glow Attic : An exclusive Sierra Designs innovation for
internal tent lighting that allows night reading or writing from a red
hue. Battery lasts 10-12 hours and is great for finding a tent at tent.
- The Organizer: The new hanging Organizer with four
expandable storage areas is perfect for keeping important items off the
floor and away from condensation on walls. Lightweight and compact,
it's ideal for any camping trip. Can also be used outside the tent.
New Innovations for 2005
- Snag-Free Zipper Tracks: Sierra Designs in the first in the
market with this advanced anti-snag method that prevents the dreaded
stuck zipper by creating a barrier between the lining and zipper track.
Available on all Sierra Designs bags.
- Jacket Hood On the Ultralights: Reduces the weight of the
bag while still keeping the warmth and provides a fitted hood for
better insulation and decreased heat loss. Available on Nitro, Flash
- Foot Box Vent for Ultralight: Provides opening at bottom
of bag for ventilation that is ideal for warm summer nights after a
long day of exertion. Available on all Ultralight bags.
- Glow-in-the-dark Zipper Pulls: Available on all Sierra
Designs sleeping bags except the Ultralight series, this innovation
provides the ability to see zippers in the dark.
Engineered Comfort Bags — Flex Sleeping Bags
- Nitro 15°: New for 2005, this 2 lb. 1 oz. men's regular 800-Fill Goose Down bag is perfect for those ultralight adventures.
- Flash 0°: New for 2005, this 2 lbs. 7 oz. men's 800-Fill
Goose Down bag is made with the Sierra Designs exclusive Jacket Hood
that is lightweight and form fitting.
- Spark 15°: New for 2005, this 2 lb. women's 800-Fill Goose
Down bag is the only lightweight women-specific bag and also provides
the Sierra Designs exclusive Jacket Hood.
- Wicked Light and Wicked Fast: Updated for 2005 with new
style lines, attached stuff sack as well as sewn-in floors to make them
lighter than before. The Wicked Light weighs in at 14 oz. and
compresses to the size of a 1-liter bottle.
- The Flex construction eliminates constriction (the main cause
of restless sleep) by providing ample room to move freely. With 6+
inches of flexible, expandable baffles that increase the girth where
needed, these bags provide sleep in any position – side, belly or back.
Below are the 6 new styles for 2005.
- REM and Cloud 9: 35° Men and Women's 600-Fill Goose Down Bags
- Black Out and Moon Beam: 35° Men's and Women's Polarguard 3D Synthetic Bags
- ZZZZ's and 7th Heaven: 0° Men's and Women's 600-Fill Goose Down Bags
- The Sierra Designs Backpacker Magazine's 2004 Editors' Choice
Award-Winning DriZone sleeping bags are back with new colors and style
lines. Due to the category's synthetic program success, Sierra Designs
added a new down program and updated the thriving synthetic program for
men, women and children.
All-inclusive Down Bags
- Osage: Men's 35° 600-Fill Goose Down Bag
- Arrow Rock: Men's 15° 600-Fill Goose Down Bag
- Santa Fe: Men's 0° 600-Fill Goose Down Bag
- Rock Creek: Women's 35° 600-Fill Goose Down Bag
- Diamond Spring: Women's 15° 600-Fill Goose Down Bag
- Cimarron: Women's 0° 600-Fill Goose Down Bag
With the success of last year's kids Side Car, Sierra Designs added
the Big Dog, loaded with more features and a new silhouette and the
Cool Cat (down version). These bags provide the perfect amount of
warmth and innovations like a built-in stuff/storage sack so the bag
never gets lost, chest pocket, pillow pocket with pillow and an
internal mesh pocket to stuff clothes for warmth.
TOP 2005 CLOTHING INNOVATIONS
- The Squeeze - Compression Stuff Sack: Compression stuff sack is
designed specifically to pack a sleeping bag down to the smallest
possible size for more usable pack space.
- The Squeeze Light Weight - Compression Stuff Sack: For
ultralight travelers, this compression sack is made of lighter weight
33D nylon with silicon coating that is the same material used on the
- Sleep E-Z Pillow: Moon-shaped pillow is designed to fit
specifically in Sierra Designs sleeping bag pillow compartments.
Designed with a removable pillowcase and attached stuff sack. Available
in down or synthetic fill.
The Sierra Designs 40th anniversary spring 2005 clothing was
designed to provide a new line of outdoor lifestyle clothing as well as
new leading-edge performance sportswear. On the technical side, the
designs were created for function with new fabric technologies, new
construction techniques and low profile, low-chafe designs that break
new ground. On the lifestyle side, the designs were created for use off
the mountain with garments that fuse the natural and the technical,
with function and the spirit of the outdoor lifestyle.
- A proprietary fabric that responds to energy generated by the
body, as well as utilizing ambient environmental energy, thus allowing
the body to tap normally unused resources to activate and improve vital
- When worn on or near the skin, Holofiber responds to
available light and the energy produced by the body, converting light
and the bodies own energy to the necessary wavelengths makes this
usually unavailable energy accessible.
- Builds strength, increases energy and accelerates muscle
recovery and helps the body's cells to be better oxygenated (up to a
12% improvement) to aid in physical performance and recovery time.
- Reduces the chance of cramping, swelling and fatigue.
- Combined with Holofiber, the Friction Free fabric technology
uses Dupont Teflon™ fibers to create a low-friction performance knit.
- With the use of Friction Free in strategic areas of a
garment, skin temperatures and related soreness caused by friction are
- Products: Men's Stamina SS and Stamina LS – Women's Profusion SS and Profusion LS (Hardcore)
- High-performance, abrasion-resistant, very breathable stretch fabric
- Utilizes technical breakthroughs in precision construction
such as welded seams and laser cutting for a comfortable, streamlined,
- Water resistant, Ciba anitimicobial, sun protection of 40+ UPF
- Products: Men's Boundary and Response – Women's Boundary and Response (Hardcore)
- Super durable and stretchy for unrestricted movement
- Highly water repellant, breathable, 40+ UPF and extremely soft
- Utilizes Ciba anitimicobial and Teflon DWR water resistant treatments, sun protection of 40+ UPF
- Products: Men's Retrieve, Gradient and Recoil – Women's Incline, Repel and Fissure (Enthusiast)
- Ultra-wicking, lightweight 100% Micropolyester knit that quickly moves moisture to keep the body dry while active
- Ideal for hot climates and vigorous workouts
- Silky, softness in a incredibly lightweight fabric
- Products: Men's Alert, Glide and Radar L/S – Women's Vista, Breeze and Skyline L/S (Enthusiast)
- High-performance 100% Nylon woven with DWR Asahi Guard for water and stain resistance
- Lightweight, breathable and extremely durable
- Sun protection of 40+ UPF
- Products: Men's Mocean, Access, Dispatch, Versa and
Feature – Women's Mocean, Access, Scape, Dispatch, Versa and Feature
- Soft, high-compression, breathable Polyester/Lycra performance fabric offers support for high-impact activities
- Provides superior control without restraining
- Products: Women's Juxt, Invert, Dial, Swivel, Gravity and Pivot (Enthusiast and Lifestyle)
Established in 1965, Sierra Designs is a leading manufacturer
of high performance products, including tents, sleeping bags and
technical and casual outdoor clothing. The company is dedicated to
producing technically superior, innovative products that offer function
as well as style.
- Provides 40+ UPF sun protection through the dense weave and synthetic fiber
- Extra breathability enabled through vented design (front and back venting)
- Lightweight, quick drying, extremely versatile
- Products: Men's Panama – Women's Shade (Lifestyle Outdoor)