Trip for 2 includes $500 towards airfare, lodging and guided trekking within the Everest Region, as well as a Sierra Designs Equipment and Apparel Prize Package
We are proud to announce the winner of our YEAR of ADVENTURE sweepstakes: Emily Stimpson of Laramie, WY. Emily won a trip to Everest Basecamp. We are excited for her and wanted to ask Emily a few questions about herself and how she feels about being the lucky winner.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where are you from? Where do you live? What do you do for work?
I grew up in Tennessee, but live now in Laramie, Wyoming. I work for SROM, a non-profit wilderness ministry based in Wyoming. I am Food & Equipment Manager for SROM, but also work in the field as an instructor. The past few field seasons I have instructed 40-day courses, mostly in the Wind River Range of Wyoming.
2. What are some of your favorite outdoor activities?
I don’t really like water, but otherwise I’m game. Rock climbing, backpacking, mountaineering, running, road biking. I just went cross-country skiing for the first time the other day and it was awesome!
3. Any crazy stories or close calls while hiking, skiing or enjoying the high country?
Over the years there have been a few. My “favorite” story, though, is from climbing Elsie Col in the Winds with a 70lb pack. After the slog up, we had to cross a snow bridge over a bergschrund and then climb a steep top section (65-85 degrees). I was the leader of the second roped team, let out rope, placed pickets, etc. HOWEVER, I forgot to tell my second to put me on belay. With that amount of rope out if I had fallen, I would have ended up in the bottom of the bergschrund. Oops.
4. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. What are you doing during each season and where?
Winter is long in Wyoming (10 months of winter and 3 months of summer). I snowshoe and am learning to cross country ski. Spring and fall don’t really exist. I rock climb and road bike as long as I can before the snow and cold hit. The summer is our primary field season, and I’m usually in the mountains backpacking and climbing (WY, CO, AZ). I’ve gotten to climb Gannett Peak two summers now.
5. How did you find out about Sierra Designs ‘A Year of Adventure’ Sweepstakes? When did you enter and did you ever think you would win?
I honestly only vaguely remember entering the contest. I never thought I’d win. I mean no one ever really wins these contests.
6. You’re going to Everest Basecamp with Alaska Mountain Guides. How does that feel? And who are you bringing?
So incredibly awesome!! Unbelievable! I’m bringing my fiancé, Tim Hall. Couldn’t ask for a better honeymoon!
7. Who was the first person you told you won?
I found out at work, so my friend and co-worker Rachel found out first; she was sitting next to me while I was on the phone. I called Tim immediately.
8. Not only are you bagging an awesome trip for free but you’re also getting a sweet gear hook up. Which piece of Sierra Designs gear are you most excited about using?
Definitely the tent. Sweet!
9. What are some of the factors that influence the type of gear you use/purchase? (price, brand, color, etc...)
Functionality and quality. Good customer service and warranty policies also help.
10. Was Everest on your bucket list? What’s next on your bucket list, underwater basket weaving, tight rope walking…?
I don’t have a bucket list, really. I think it was more of a “in my dreams” kind of thing. I’ve spent time in Africa, and have a heart of compassion for the rural poor of the world. I also love mountains and am interested in the ways that environmental degradation and poverty intertwine. My dream would be to combine all of these passions and live and work in a place like Nepal.
Emily's Sierra Designs Equipment and Apparel Prize Package Included:
You missed out on the Everest and Ecuador trips, but you can still win a trip to Alaska!